Assessing Your Needs
Cultural Assessment In The Workforce
Assessing the needs of your culture is the most critical step you can take towards sustaining a world class safety program. It has been proven that the absence of information about how employees view the workplace, decisions affecting safety, productivity, morale, turnover, pay, and benefits costs are made in an information vacuum.
The result is…
- A disconnect with the workforce
- Loss of respect from employees
- Barriers to training and engagement
- Increased incidents with declining accountability
- Wasted money and company resources
The ability to focus your valuable resources on improving specific employee needs will immediately result in better training and communication. The end result is an engaged employee that is much more responsive to training AND change.
That’s exactly what a Safe Solutions™ professionally design assessment can do for your culture. Remember… Attitudes do Create Excellence!
When determining the method and structure of the survey, you should consider these areas of importance…
- Is the survey attractive?
- Will it engage employees?
- Does the design convey the importance of the survey?
- Is the survey written in a methodical manner?
- Are the questions concise and easy to understand?
- Does the survey allow for comments or suggestions?
- Can the results of the survey be read “at a glance?”
- Can results be published using common software (i.e. Excel, Access)
- Do the results reflect each Department by location, division or region?
Cultural assessments should be treated as seriously as would any of your products or services. It must be of high quality, and it must be communicated correctly. As in every “marketing” campaign, several things are necessary. Among these are…
- Determining the target audience… (ie: age, education)
- Determining the method: Online surveys or traditional “pen and paper”
- Creating awareness of the survey in a positive manner
- Communicating the benefits of the survey
- Inform employees on how to obtain the results of the survey
- Inform employees on how the results of the survey will be used